Monday, November 27, 2006

Pumpkin Jell-O Mold

contributed by Teenage Bamm-Bamm, Jacksonville, Fla.



Jet was out of town the weekend before Thanksgiving, and I lied awake several nights dreaming up some new culinary deviltry to foist upon him, going so far as to decide that I would actually invent my own recipe for Thanksgiving Day.

I was toying with the idea of creating some sort of gelatin recipe involving cranberry sauce and bits of turkey, but thought that might be too ambitious for my first invented recipe. I settled on pumpkin, knowing how much Jet likes pumpkin pie.

I began with lemon Jell-O, the classic base for all gelatin mold recipes. To this I would fold in a can of cooked pumpkin and an equal amount of Cool Whip, and perhaps some pecans or walnuts.

Before actually beginning the preparations, however, I did a quick bit of internet research to make sure my idea wasn't TOO off-base, as this time it would not only be Jet testing the results, but most of our family.

What did I find, but a recipe that was almost exactly what I had in mind. The discovery served only to heighten my anticipation, as well as my sense of pride that I had invented a recipe that actually sort-of existed.

I give you now the recipe as I found it online (which is what I actually made) as well as the differences that would have existed in my homemade version.

1 3-ounce package lemon gelatin
1 cup boiling water
2 tablespoons sugar (I did not think of adding sugar to mine)
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (nor did I know that pre-mixed pumpkin pie spice was sold. I was planning to add a dash each of cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.)
1 cup canned pumpkin (I did not measure a cup out, but used an entire standard can)
1 small tub Cool Whip
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Dissolve Jello in boiling water; add sugar and spice. Add pumpkin, mixing well. Chill until slightly thickened. Fold in Cool Whip and nuts. Pour into mold or clean bowl and refrigerate until firm.

Learning from my experience with Guess What Salad, I refrigerated the mold overnight. And the result was....



PS - the cranberries are just for show, and are not to be eaten. Unless you're Jet's sister, who defiantly scooped up a handful and shoved them in her mouth.

What we thought: I have no rating system for when people actually LIKE what I made, enough to have me make it again. This dessert was universally loved by all, especially Aunt Conchita, who declared it the perfect dessert for Thanksgiving owing to it's lightness and effervescence.

Our Rating: Negative Five Screaming Jets!

(all dishes are rated from one to five Screaming Jets. One Screaming Jet equals a happy home where all problems are solved during cocktail hour. Five Screaming Jets signals the beginning of divorce proceedings.)

1 comment:

rahree said...

i'm not really a jell-o girl, and yet i am entranced by the cranberryjiggliness in your photo... Obi-Wan, can you teach me?